|Turkey Macaroni Bake|
Is your fridge still full of turkey? Never fear, you can transform leftovers into this delicious holiday dish.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 75g unsalted butter, plus extra knobs to bake
- 50g plain flour
- 850ml turkey or chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 300ml thick cream
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 150g dried macaroni
- 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 200g sliced Swiss brown mushrooms
- 60ml (1/4 cup) dry marsala or white wine
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 700g cooked turkey meat, diced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 50g flaked almonds, roasted
- 50g grated parmesan
1. Melt 50g of butter in a saucepan over low heat, then add the flour and cook for two minutes, stirring, to prevent it from catching. Whisk in the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and cook for five minutes, stirring. Add nutmeg, cream and lemon zest and season well. Allow to simmer for five minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a pan of boiling salted water following packet directions. Drain and refresh. Stir through oil to prevent it from sticking.
3. Heat remaining butter in a pan over a medium heat. When it is sizzling, add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. (Add two cups of washed baby spinach for the last minute of cooking mushrooms, if desired.) Add marsala and lemon juice and cook for a further minute.
4. Combine sauce, turkey, thyme, pasta, mushrooms and cooking juices in a bowl. Transfer into a 2-litre baking dish and sprinkle with almonds, parmesan and extra butter. Bake for 30 minutes and then serve.