|Vietnamese Noodle Soup|
This fragrant Vietnamese noodle soup is traditionally popular for breakfast , lunch or dinner. See notes section for FODMAP diet tip.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 250g rice stick noodles
- 1L (4 cups) beef stock
- 1 lemongrass stem (pale part only), finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2cm piece each of ginger and galangal (see note), sliced into matchsticks
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 100g mixed Asian mushrooms (such as oyster, wood ear fungus and shiitake) (see note)
- 1 tbs each fish sauce and lime juice
- 1 cup (80g) bean sprouts
- Coriander and mint leaves, to garnish
Pour boiling water over the noodles and stand for 15 minutes or until soft.
Meanwhile, place the stock, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, galangal, chilli and 2 cups (500ml) water in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 12 minutes or until slightly reduced. Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, then stir in the fish sauce and lime juice.
Divide the noodles and bean sprouts among bowls, reserving a few sprouts to garnish. Ladle over the soup, then serve topped with the reserved bean sprouts and fresh herbs.