|Rigatoni with Slow-Cooked Beef and Peas|
You're sure to find a new family favourite with this ultimate pasta recipe.
Ingredients (serves 6):
- 800g piece chuck steak, quartered
- 1 each carrot and onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 5 juniper berries, bruised
- 4 cloves
- 750ml bottle dry red wine
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (375ml) beef stock
- 10g dried porcini mushrooms (see note), soaked in 1 cup boiling water for 10 minutes
- 500g rigatoni
- 1 cup frozen peas, blanched, refreshed
- 50g unsalted butter
- Place beef, carrot, onion, celery, garlic, rosemary and spices in a large bowl. Pour over wine, then cover and marinate in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 170°C. Drain the beef and vegetables, reserving marinade. Heat oil in a large flameproof casserole over medium-high heat. In batches, brown the beef all over, turning, for 3-4 minutes. Remove the beef and set aside.
- Add the vegetables and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until softened. Return beef to the pan with reserved marinade, then simmer over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, stock, chopped porcini and soaking liquid. Season well with salt and pepper, then cover and cook in the oven for 3 hours or until beef is very tender.
- Remove the beef from pan and roughly shred using two forks. Place the casserole over medium-high heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce has reduced. Return shredded meat to pan. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water to packet instructions. Drain, then toss the pasta with the sauce and peas.
- Divide among bowls and serve topped with a small knob of butter.